Engagement is measured by an individual’s level of commitment and connection to an organization, including to sustainability targets and actions. This starts with understanding what matters to your stakeholders and having the stakeholders understand your organization’s core values and purpose. Successful engagement programs will encompass both of the above, combining employees’ values with the company’s goals.
The Importance of Sustainability
There are a growing number of reasons your organization should focus on sustainability engagement. These include the following:
- Stakeholder Management: Satisfy your tenants’ evolving needs, attract a new consumer base, and mitigate risk.
- Financial Benefits: Seek and implement high-return, low-risk opportunities. Integrating sustainability into business operations attracts and retains customers and investors.
- Brand Value: Sustainability can aid in pursuing environmental awards and certifications, and increase brand value and market share.
- Protecting our Future: Ensure a positive and sustainable future and support the health and wellbeing of one another, as well as future generations.
Sustainable Engagement Checklist
We know that as property managers, you work hard to run your buildings efficiently. Equally as important, you need to engage and educate your key stakeholders in using the systems you have set up effectively.
Consider if your organization is implementing the following:
- Are we conducting sustainability education and campaigns for our stakeholders, including staff, contractors, and tenants?
- Is sustainability regularly discussed through internal and external communications channels?
- Are we communicating the latest industry best practices to our stakeholders?
- Is there an internal green team or champions program?
- Are there systems in place for stakeholders to share ideas or deliver sustainable innovations?
- Do we have metrics in place to determine the success of our sustainability engagement?
Key Sustainability Campaigns
While every day should have a focus on sustainability, there are many well-recognized sustainability campaigns celebrated across Canada that you should be aware of. Here are our top three:
- Circular Economy Month — October 1st to 31st, 2023
This is Canada’s public awareness month dedicated to educating and engaging Canadians on building a circular economy and reducing waste.
- Earth Month — April 1st to 30th, 2024
Earth Month is an opportunity to critically examine our relationships with the natural environment and each other.
- Canadian Environment Week — June 3rd to 9th, 2024
Recognized by the Government of Canada, Canadian Environment Week celebrates Canada’s unique environmental achievements and issues.
Featured Case Study: QuadReal Earth Month
In April 2023, QuadReal Property Group partnered with CD SONTER to implement a campaign to raise awareness about the single-use plastic issue and help individuals visualize the collective impact of the single-use plastics we generate daily. Learn more.
CD SONTER Engagement Services
At CD SONTER, we engage occupants through meaningful, thought-provoking sustainability events that leave a lasting impact. We aim to educate and motivate tenants and increase participation in your property’s sustainability programming. Our events encourage conversation around current environmental challenges and solutions.
Ranging from sustainability-themed training sessions to large-scale custom events, our team of experienced engagement professionals can provide tailored solutions to engage tenants, staff, and visitors at your property.
We are proud to offer the following services:
- Lobby Events
- Art Installations
- Newsletters and Infographics
- Workshops and Lunch and Learns
- Virtual Gamification
- Digital and In-Person Educational Campaigns
- Tenant Surveys
Visit our website to learn more about CD SONTER’s services.
Reach out to learn more about how we can support your organization’s sustainability journey.